Tuesday, June 04, 2013

7 days in Bali

I just spent 7 days with my friends in the beautiful island of Bali, Indonesia.  


For fear of getting too busy to post anything about this vacation, I compiled my Instagram (@nina_santamaria) photos from the past week to share with you, and for me to remember the trip by.  Hope you enjoy my visual diary of Bali:


As you can see, we were right smack in the middle of a busy week in Echo Beach, Canggu, where we stayed.  There were the exciting Deus events such as the Fish Fry and the 9-Foot & Single Logging Competition. There was also the Comp Womp (a bodysurfing competition) and the premier of the bodysurf documentary, "Come Hell or High Water".  Also lucky to chance upon the exhibit of Drew Wellman, "The Little Heroes" featuring young local surfers posing in their surfboards "with patinas to die for".



Sharing the other awesome posters with you here as I was tripping on them the whole time I was there. Kudos to the graphic design department of Deus, if there is such a thing. So much thought and style go into making these things, don't you think?

(hmm..I didn't know Alex Knost was supposed to come...)



We couldn't have come at a better time.  Our good friends Buji Libarnes (from Coast Thru Life) & La Union's Luke Landrigan joined the Logging Competition and even if I couldn't surf on this trip, I was so thrilled to see Pinoys share the waves with the best of the best from around the globe.  And I'm not kidding when I say the best.  There was Harrison Roach, Dane Peterson,  Jared Mell, Matt Chojanocki, and Husni Ridwan, a.k.a. "The Prince", among others.



Matt Chojanocki (The Waxhead)  is now on my list of fave surfers.
photos above via

And let's not forget the stylish, beautiful, and for me definitely the coolest cat on the planet, Kassia Meador.

Instagram @gianggaw
(follow him for great surf pics)

I've been a huge fan for years and never in my wildest dreams did I expect that I would get to meet and hang out with her.  In Bali, of all places! In the same hotel, same floor, a few rooms away.  I was fan-girling the whole time, HARD.  Now I get goosebumps realizing that the people you admire & look up to can actually be more AWESOME in person.  She was so friendly and just beamed happiness, enthusiasm and positivity.  She'd come up to us and talk about the day, the surf, and random things like when she almost hit a chair in the middle of the road while riding her scooter last night. She was always smiling and it was infectious. Every time she'd come from a surf session, she would say it was the "BEST TIME!".  (Ok, I'll stop now for fear of her thinking I'm a psycho fan).  Sorry Kassie, I'm just really happy to have met you! You inspire me!



*now wiping stupid smile off of face* Back to other Bali news...


It rained often, but it did not hamper the beauty of our surroundings.  I remember this gloomy day when the white roof at the Deus workshop almost disappeared into the gray sky, making the Balinese doors with its rich carvings stand out in the rain.  I tried to capture it with the iPhone, but couldn't.  Anyway I'll remember the scene always in my head.  :-)

We went to Medewi, Seminyak, Kuta, and Ubud where we did some shopping and visited the excellent (& exemplary) Green School, a campus nestled in the jungle and made entirely from bamboo.  Aside from the batik-shopping, I thoroughly enjoyed all my meals, especially this curry with brown rice and the roasted pumpkin & beet salad with a light coconut vinaigrette (which I had almost everyday)!


at Betel Nut Cafe

Plus I finally learned how to ride a scooter,
this shall prove useful on my next Siargao trip!
Kim & Echo hamming it up
(from @cescasilvestre IG)
the chill setup at the Board Shapers Forum
Buji, me, Cesca, Luke, Kassie, Nikki, & Ellana
(Charlie behind the lens)

the wrap-up party
photo via deuscustoms.com


 Already planning the trip back.
Terimah Kasi, Bali!





1 comment: