Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Oh, the (Art Deco) Drama!

Because this week is all about the gloomy weather and "The Dark Knight", let's be...well, dark for a change.  Came upon these photos of a renovated residence from The Contemporist.  And so I present to you...


Art deco-inspired modernism....OH MY GOODNESS.  I faint! 


Architecture & interiors by MIM Design.  


For some reason, the shutters all around the house give it an island feel.  
Well ok, a swanky island feel. Haha.  




  

The longer I look at the photos, the details unfold one by one before my eyes:

Those geometric deco grills...
the unbelievable wall-to-wall onyx stone...
the sexy linear & straightforward shapes...
the chrome on black on magenta on acid blue and gold!!!

And don't get me started on that brass & lacquered table by the tub.  (Yes, by the freakin' BATHTUB!!!) I would give my iPhone, all 64GB of it, in exchange for that table.  Not kidding.

And then there's the boldness of this chair that throws the viewer's eyes off...and THAT my friends is the surprise modern twist to this concept. Or the joke? It's brilliant when designers inject a little humor into their spaces.  

Or maybe I like it because I had to buy a coat & hat stand yesterday for a retail store I'm doing, and this chair could have been intended by the designer to be one.  

Forgive my rantings.  Finally, I think those brazen"bleeding" colors are the perfect complement to all that solid black. WOW. 


This is an impossible dream kitchen where nobody cooks or eats anything...but to me its an aspirational space nonetheless.  I would love to have the discipline to maintain a space like this.     

 *Spotted: check out that unlikely (but ingenious) design idea by the sink.  A mirrored splashboard!


I think I will dream about that "opera house" shade of blue for the next 3 nights.  
Luscious! Dramatic! Intense!


Bravo Modern ART DECO!



No comments:

Post a Comment