Friday, May 17, 2013

The Fitzgerald Suite & Other Deco Obsessions

I read The Great Gatsby some five years ago on a rainy-day streak in apartment and I couldn't believe a Hollywood production has yet to be made about it.  Now that it's finally here, I can't wait to watch it and be transported to the beautiful, innovative, and opulent Jazz Age.  I have a date with you soon, Baz Luhrman! And ok, you too, Leo.


I am so amazed at the designs coming from this era.  The playful geometric forms, organic-inspired themes, sharp and bold graphics, bling-bling everywhere! It was just such a modern, positive, unique & assertive age in design! For me it expressed the progress, urbanization, and vigor of the world coming out of the post-Victorian era and World War I.  And I haven't even started talking about one of the most elegant structures it has produced, The Chrysler Building.


interior pegs via


Now how AWESOME is that Fitzgerald Fan? Too cool.

Meanwhile check out The Fitzgerald Suite at The Plaza Hotel in New York (a personal favorite of Fitzgerald), in collaboration with Restoration Hardware.  At $2,795 a night, you can live like Jay & Daisy (the pillows on the bed even have their monograms), watch the film on HDTV, and for the design-obsessed like me, just drown in the Deco details  of the room.






the brilliant logo as woven on the carpet


note how the fabric on the curtains and rugs reflect the Gatsby graphics


Deco details

This makes me want to re-visit the works of one of my favorite artists, Tamara de Lempicka. , an important 20th century figurative painter whose life and works represented the strength and beauty of the modern woman of her times.  I was drawn to her art years ago (and I remember giving Rajo Laurel a book about her for his birthday)...because it reminded me of my favorite book characters, Howard Roark & Dominique Francon from 'The Fountainhead'.  If they needed to be illustrated by anybody, it would be de Lempicka.  

In the real world, her works remind me of Madonna, Coco Chanel, Eva Peron, Wallis Simpson, and Anais Nin-- all collectors of her work.  








On a trip to Singapore 2 years ago, I bought a book on Art Deco prints.  I was so in love with it! Seems like the right time to feature it--- it will be blogged soon. :-)

Here's a teaser: 


Looking at this print makes me so happy. 

 And I'm sure this will, too. 
Thank you for your legendary book, Mr. F.Scott Fitzgerald.










No comments:

Post a Comment