Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Beach House 11: Archipelago House

I am intrigued by this house from Tham & Videgård Arkitekter. Located in the Swedish archipelago, it is aptly named the "Archipelago House".  

Notes from the Architects: 

"The layout of the plan is generated by the specifics of the site For the interior, the starting point has been the direct relationship to the dramatic archipelago landscape, with the objective to offer within a simple frame – a platform – several diverse readings of the relation between space and nature.

A multiplicity of readings. As a result of the large glass panes and the prevailing conditions of light, reflections and mirror-like effects,  a quality is created where nature, space and horizon all interact together. "




Because I live in a tropical country and I'm always at the beach (rain or shine), I know how unpredictable the weather can be & how a random typhoon can devastate even the most solid & concrete property.  Especially those structures facing the ocean.  

I think the most brilliant solution the that Tham & Videgård Arkitekter came up with was the ZIG-ZAG formation of the house, which "also offers several outside spaces sheltered from strong winds."  A very well-thought of shape that allows wind & rain to pass through via the trellises and louvered panels.  







bring out the marshmallows and the hot chocolate please! And throw in the guitar as well. 


I would have preferred the house in a natural color instead of black, though.  

So many beach houses piled up on my list to share with you all.  I'm really lagging behind on my posts!  Watch out for Beach House 12, coming soon! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment